Yesterday I was in a public restroom. I chose my stall and tried the handle, the door opened. To my surprise, it hit some very large woman in the bare naked rear end, I quickly closed the door! That is when the seriously weird thing happened. She started screaming at me! “you need to ‘&#%!@?!’ check the door before opening it!” (ummm, opening it IS checking it) and she continued on and on, screaming through the door at me, calling me names and verbally attacking me, which included my race. I am not one who allows anyone to abuse me, so I yelled back… “YOU need to LOCK the door!” To which she replied, “don’t tell me what I need to do!” and then continued on with her tirade, which included threatening me.
I have a few thoughts about this.
- She failed to lock the door, but chose to attack me for her failure.
- Rather than accepting my “excuse me”, she turned a small uncomfortable situation into a huge issue.
- Pure hatred spilled forth from her mouth… towards a complete stranger!
- Was that situation worthy of threats of violence to another? She deemed it so…
- She was huge, and could of kicked my butt with all her rage, so I was happy she was ‘busy’ in there and only used her words.
WHO ARE WE? As individual people, as a society, WHO THE HECK ARE WE?!